Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday Administration Update: Rangers Have Redundancy

((HT: STV/SkySports))

And, as a result, Chief operating officer Ali Russell and Gordon Smith, director of football, are leaving their roles with Rangers.

Smith said he was "undermined" through his association with owner Craig Whyte...

Here's Smith statement from the Rangers website:

"It was a great thrill to be offered the Director of Football role at Rangers. As a fan it was a wonderful experience to play such a big part in our treble winning season of 77/78. However like my transfer in 1980 my leaving at this time comes as a tremendous wrench.

"I admit that under the current circumstances it has not come as a major surprise to me. I was brought in by Craig Whyte but because his control and reputation has been damaged by recent disclosures, I feel my own position has been undermined by association.

"However, I would make the point that I was very frustrated in my job as I was unable to fulfill the job specification which was originally outlined for me. This was to control the major aspects of the football department outwith the first team operations.

"These were to include recruitment, scouting, transfer negotiations and youth development. I wasn't in control of any of these activities despite constantly making it clear to Craig Whyte that this was to be my remit. I outlined my medium to long term strategies for the Club on numerous occasions to no avail.

"There's no point in being a Director of Football unless you can control these areas, so, in that respect I'm totally comfortable with being made redundant at this time.

"The main thing for me is that Rangers survives and continues to operate as a great football club and I offer my full support going forward to ensure this happens."


Both are staying until the end of the month to finish up their jobs and administrators Duff and Phelps are handing over findings to local police for their own investigations.

And it now appears that the tax liability may be more into the neighborhood of 15-million pounds instead of 9-million...

Here's looking back at the preview of game one after administration, thanks johngreig...
((HT: SkySports))

No comments:

Post a Comment