Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stompin' Tom Connors Passes At 77

For most of the HQ's readers south of the border, you're wondering who the gentleman above is and why he merits the space...

Evidence below...


He never went anywhere without being dressed in the standard black hat and cowboy boots...
He was Canada and personified everything about its love of country, sport, and spirit...

"I'm a man of the land, I go out into the country and I talk to people and I know the jobs they do and how they feel about their jobs," Connors said in the past.

"And I've been doing that all my life so I know Canada like the palm of my hand. I don't need a map to go anywhere in Canada, I know it all."


Connors had been in failing health for some time and felt he needed to write a letter to his fans. In it he said he was:

"inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world."

On Twitter, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said "we have lost a true Canadian original. R.I.P. Stompin' Tom Connors. You played the best game that could be played."

No comments:

Post a Comment