Friday, April 11, 2014

Missouri Dismisses Green-Beckham from Team

Talented but oft-troubled University of Missouri wide reciever Dorial Green-Beckham has been asked to leave the Tigers football team.

Coach Gary Pinkel announced Friday afternoon that the parting was in the best interest of everyone involved.

Beckham made news yet again after getting in trouble for an incident where he's alleged to have forced his way into an apartment and pushed a woman down some stairs.

But he was not charged in that incident. Pinkel suspended him indefinitely on Monday

Beckham was the #1 rated High School prospect in the country when he chose Missouri in 2012, he began his career suspended over an arrest for marijuana possession. He made headlines again in January after being charged with marijuana possession while in a vehicle driven by someone else. That person took ownership of the drugs and Beckham's charges were later dropped.

His father released a statement Friday morning to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It read: "First and most importantly, I take responsibility for my conduct and my mistakes. Don't blame my girlfriend or her friends for anything. I am not looking for sympathy. I thank those who given me concern. I have been young and dumb. I want to be better. During my suspension, I am entering counseling. With help I know that I can be stronger emotionally and spiritually. My relationship with my family, friends, teammates and coaches are most important in my life, not football."

However, the statement was released before Beckham was released from the Tigers football team.

No doubt the young man needs some help and to his credit it at least sounds like he is willing to get it. With his head on straight, he's likely going to be the target of an interesting recruiting battle. He has 2-years of eligibility left and most big schools and in the future, pro teams won't walk away from someone with his talent.

But hopefully he won't take the field again until he grows up and means it. We wish him luck.

To get an idea how good the kid can be, take a look at this music video a YouTube user put together:



No comments:

Post a Comment