Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DEVELOPING: Gee Stepping Down July 1 ( Or "Retiring")

((HT: Columbus Dispatch/Pyle))

So, as of July 1, we won't have Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee to kick us around anymore...

He's sending out an e-mail that reads in part:

“Without question, the university has achieved remarkable success, and it has been my honor and calling to lead it. Ohio State is well-positioned for the future. I love this university, and my relationship with it will continue.”

OSU’s former Provost Joseph A. Alutto has agreed to serve as interim president until the school's board of trustees can find a replacement.

The last straw seemed to be his remarks at the December Ohio State Athletics Council where he went after everyone from Catholics, to the Ess-E-Cee, and everyone in between...
((HT: SI.com))


Gee released a statement in concert with his announcement that had the normal amount of platitudes and compliments from his school and everyone associated with it.

From Lyle's piece:

“I recently returned from a vacation with my family, during which time I had a chance to consider the university’s phenomenal achievements and the road that lies ahead for it.”

“During my days away, I also spent some time in self-reflection. And after much deliberation, I have decided it is now time for me to turn over the reigns of leadership to allow the seeds that we have planted to grow,” he said. “It is also time for me to reenergize and refocus myself.”


Trustees, naturally, returned the favor knowing Gee was out of their hair once and for all...

More from Lyle:

“By any measure, Gordon has been a transformational leader for Ohio State. His service to Ohio State has been superb. This man has been an inspiration to many people, including me, and we all are forever grateful for his friendship, board chairman Robert H. Schottenstein said.

Schottenstein said he met with Gee about his decision this morning.

“As we go forward, the University Board will work in close partnership with Dr. Gee and Dr. Alutto through this period to continue the tremendous success and growth we have seen under his leadership.”


Interesting point...

Gee has been atop more universities than any other individual- West Virginia, the University of Colorado, Ohio State, Brown and Vanderbilt...

Which could tell us something... or not...

More when we know more...

No comments:

Post a Comment