Monday, July 22, 2013

Braun Gone: MLB Suspends Slugger For Rest Of Season

Apparently, now no longer using the "guy tampered with my sample" defense, Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun has now admitted what most of us thought all along... that he violated the MLB Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program

"As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect," Braun said in a statement released by Major League Baseball. "I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country.

"Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed -- all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love."


In October of 2011, a sample tested for a higher than normal acceptable level of testosterone. He won his appeal in February of 2012 by challenging the chain of contact for the sample.

He has, since, been linked to the Biogenesis investigation and Tony Bosch- appearing on ledgers as "money owed" to Bosch. Braun's legal team said that, when asked about it, Bosch was used as a consultant during his initial appeal with MLB. When questioned in late June about Biogenesis and any possible link he had to them, reports surfaced that he refused to cooperate.

MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred released this statement: "We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions. We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter. When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field."

Here's analysis from ESPN


"I am deeply gratified to see Ryan taking this bold step," said MLB Players Association executive director Michael Weiner. "It vindicates the rights of all players under the Joint Drug Program. It is good for the game that Ryan will return soon to continue his great work both on and off the field."

No comments:

Post a Comment