Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tyson Gay Tests Positive for Banned Substance (UPDATED: Five Jamaicans Did, Too, Including Asafa Powell)

((ht: ap.org))

The fastest man in the United States will be sitting out the August World Championships after getting a positive drug test result on Friday.

Tyson Gay got the results from a May test given by the U.S Anti-Doping Agency. That test was given on May 16th.

He told the Associated Press--"I don't have a sabotage story, I basically put my trust in someone and was let down."

Gay made his way back into the headlines recently after going on the record that he felt healthy and good enough to take down Usain Bolt.

That won't happen next month in Moscow as Gay now tries to get his B sample (2nd test) results and hope those come back clean.

PM UPDATE: Five Jamaicans have been tested positive for banned substances...

Two field event athletes and three runners tested positive at the National Trials and the two sprinters are Olympic gold medallists- Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson... Powell apparently handed over his supplements when his trainer got busted in Italy...

Powell then released a statement:

“I want to be clear in saying to my family, friends, and most of all my fans worldwide that I have never knowingly or willfully taken any supplements or substances that break any rules. I am not now — nor have I ever been — a cheat,” he said.

“My team has launched an internal investigation and we are cooperating with the relevant agencies and law enforcement authorities to discover how the substance got in my system. I assure you that we will find out how this substance passed our rigorous internal checks and balances and design systems to make sure it never happens again."


Simpson did the same:

“I would not intentionally take an illegal substance of any form into my system. I want to sincerely say to my family (especially my parents, grandparents and siblings), Paul Doyle (agent), MVP track club, fellow athletes, former sponsors and the rest of Jamaica, that l am deeply sorry for any hurt or embarrassment this positive test may have caused."

Sources are telling the Gleaner newspaper in Jamaica that the sprinters might have ingested the banned substance from a new dietary supplement recently introduced to their training camp.

It is understood that one of the athletes had done extensive research on the supplement before taking it, and is now considering legal action against the supplier.


Well, then...

Here's Gay beating Powell at Lausanne just recently... interesting to see just how much of this holds up...

1 comment: