Sunday, February 9, 2014

Smart Gets Three Games For Incident, Superfan Done For Year...

((HT: CBSSports))

Marcus Smart got three games worth of suspension for his response to Texas Tech fan Jeff Orr the other night...

Orr says he didn't use a racial slur in the incident. Smart maintains Orr did... but Orr also says he will not go to any more Red Raiders games this season...

He volunteered that he said something he shouldn't have to the OSU forward and he also was the one who decided not to attend anymore games in the 13-14 season... kind of a self-imposed punishment...

The HQ does wonder how big a booster he is, though...

Doug Gottlieb, via his Twitter, revealed a conversation Orr had with a friend of his
saying it got out of control (pictured right from Gottlieb)

"I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men's Basketball program. My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech - a university I love dearly.

I regret calling Mr. Smart a 'piece of crap' but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created."


But, it wasn't the first time, Orr has been caught on tape responding for his Raiders the way he has...

Go all the way to the end of the video...

It's a very superfannish reaction...
((HT: ESPN2))


But, it was time for Smart and the school to address the issue- any internal discipline will come from coach Travis Ford. Smart wouldn't answer questions, but did offer this to start:

"I want to apologize to the fan, whose name is Jeff Orr, I want to apologize to him, my teammates, my coach. This is not how I condone msyelf. I just can't let that happen again. It's a lesson I'll have to learn from; it's all on me. I truly apologize to all those that are important to me. I feel I let my teammates down."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby released this statement from the league office:

"Mr. Smart's actions were a clear violation of the Big 12 Conference's Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct Policy. Such behavior has no place in athletics, and will not be tolerated. I appreciate the efforts of Oklahoma State University athletics director Mike Holder in addressing this matter, and believe this is an appropriate response to an inappropriate action."

Here's a part of the presser from our friends at KFOR-TV

No comments:

Post a Comment