Saturday, July 6, 2013

#1 Pick Mark Appel Makes Pro Debut, Gives Himself A B-Minus

{HT Troy Record & milb.com
Houston Astros #1 Pick Mark Appel Debuts In Single A


Perhaps someday Mark Appel will be the ace of the Houston Astro pitching staff and lead the franchise back to respectability.  Appel, like the Astros has a long way to go.

Appel debuted Friday night for the Tri-City ValleyCats and no doubt nervous.

The first pitch he threw as a pro was lined by Lowell Spinners shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin to centerfield for a triple. 

"Welcome to pro ball, I guess," Appel said when asked about that pitch. "He (Lin) put a good swing on it. "I guess I throw a first-pitch fastball every game I start. I left it up a little but he put a good swing on it."

Appel would give up two runs, one earned, on three hits in the first inning.

In the second inning with his nerves calmed down Appel threw a 1-2-3 inning.

Appel was limited to 30 pitches and he threw 26. 



So how would the former Stanford Cardinal grade is debut performance?

"Maybe a B-minus or a B," Appel said  "Not my best, not my worst. I know I have a lot to improve on. I think it's a good starting point. That's all I can ask for."

Welcome to the bushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment