Monday, September 16, 2013

Navy Yard Shootings Force Nationals/Braves Game Postponement

The horrible events Monday morning at the U.S Navy Yard in Washington has caused the Washington Nationals to cancel their Monday night game with the Atlanta Braves.

For those not following news: At least 12 people are dead and many others injured after shots were fired early Monday morning at the Navy Sea Command H.Q, southeast of the Capital building and just a couple of blocks from Nationals Stadium.

Monday nights game will be made up as a split doubleheader on Tuesday. The makeup game scheduled to start at 1:05 p.m, the regularly scheduled game at 7:10 p.m.

The Nationals released a statement that no one will disagree with:

"All of us here in the Nationals organization were deeply saddened to learn of the tragic events that occurred this morning only a few blocks from Nationals Park. Our thoughts and prayers remain with our friends at the Navy Yard and those impacted by today's incident.

In light of the circumstances, we have decided to postpone tonight's game against the Braves. Additional information will be distributed in the coming hours.

The safety of our fans is our utmost priority. As we have throughout the day, the Nationals security personnel will continue to work closely with all levels of law enforcement to reinforce the already high level of security in place at Nationals Park and to ensure that our visitors always have a safe experience."

The Commish did the same thing...

"On behalf of the Nationals, the Braves and all of our Clubs, Major League Baseball mourns those who have been lost to this senseless tragedy, and our thoughts are with all those who have been affected. Under these circumstances, the appropriate action is to postpone tonight's game in Washington.

"Major League Baseball's Security Department will continue to track this matter in consultation with the Nationals and under the guidance of the local authorities."

PM UPDATE: The mother for one of the wide receivers for Washington's NFL team, Josh Morgan, works at Navy Yard. She was on lock down and couldn't pick up a phone as her son tried to reach her to make sure she was okay...

But, thankfully, it turned out all right...

No comments:

Post a Comment