Saturday, September 28, 2013

Now We Know Why This Earned A Helmet Sticker, An Incredible Pick 6

((HT: Andy Stabell/Mercer Football))

The only thing the HQ can say is:

This is how you make national television... a double-deflection, running 100 yards east-west-north-south, and slipping a handful of tackles before getting into the endzone for a pick-6 of 35 yards (officially)...

Alex Avant gets the credit for all that as he gave Mercer a defensive touchdown in their 31-17 Pioneer League debut win over Drake at Henderson Field in Macon in front of 8,000 Bears fans...


Avant's pick was good for a 17-0 lead in the second quarter at the time...

"Well we did a corner blitz and the quarterback checked the pass because he saw me blitzing so I knew I had to jump right once he threw it," said Avant following the game. "So I jumped up, tipped it, it bounced off another linebacker and then the ball fell in my hands and I just tried to score. I caught it and then I went left and then remembered I was probably about to just go out of bounds and I was like I might as well go ahead and try to score. I guess somehow I ended up in the end zone."

Avant is part of a defense that ranks Number 1 in the country FCS total defense, allowing just 241.5 yards per game. The Bears are also Number 6 in the nation in rushing defense and Number 8 in first down defense.

Here's Head Coach Bobby Lamb postgame...

No comments:

Post a Comment