Monday, June 9, 2014

Head Of USA Swimming Finally Apologizes To Sexually Abused Swimmers

((HT: ABC News))

The head of USA Swimming, Chuck Wielgus, finally apologized for past sexual abuses that fell under his watch as the country's head of sport.

In an interview with Brian Ross, back in 2010, he was asked if he should apologize for dozens of sexual abuse cases that involved USA Swim-sanctioned coaches and underage girls. His response didn't go over well


There was a petition that started to circulate asking for his nomination to the International Swimming Hall of Fame be rescinded because of his lack of action. He withdrew and now is saying he should have done more.

Wielgus has since come out and apologized in his blog that's titled: I'm Sorry

It includes this passage...

Now, when I look back and see how far we’ve come as an organization, I also recognize how far I have come. Before 2010, I knew so little about the issues of sexual abuse in our society. Today, I have a first-hand understanding for just how widespread and devastating the problem is.

The statistics (by the age of 18, 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused) were previously just numbers. As I listened to personal stories the statistics began to hit home to me. These weren’t just facts, there were real people. Sadly, I now understand how under-reported sexual abuse is and I think of those who continue to suffer.


It will be interesting to see just how serious USA Swimming is from this moment on.

No comments:

Post a Comment