Tuesday, September 2, 2014

DEVELOPING: Irsay Fined $500K, Suspended 6 Games

((HT: WISH-TV))

As an after-effect of his plea bargain that led to one misdemeanor count of operating while intoxicated, the National Football League has suspended Indianpolis Colts owner Jim Irsay for six games and fined him half-a-million dollars- the maximum amount under league rules.

Irsay sent out the following statement shortly after the announcement of his suspension:

I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere. Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community. In retrospect, I now know that the incident opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health. I truly hope and pray that my episode will help in some small measure to diminish the stigma surrounding our country’s terrible and deadly problem of addiction. It is a disease like other progressive, terminal diseases—one that can only be successfully treated by understanding, committed hard work, and spiritual growth. I am deeply grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and support during these past few months from my family, friends, care-givers, and our great community. Please know I am firmly committed to staying on my path to good health and I look forward to a great season.

Here's the latest after the arraignment in Indianapolis


Irsay cannot be present at the Colts facility, practices, or games. He cannot be at any league or league committee meetings- or anything involving any other team for that matter. He also cannot do media interviews or say anything team-related on any form of social media... something he always was fond of doing on his Twitter feed.

He will also be subject to treatment, counseling, and testing during his suspension.

No comments:

Post a Comment