With all the problems going on in the NFL, the disciplinary issues of the NCAA often take a back seat.
Take for example defending Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and Florida State.
It's not so much that he did something stupid, jumping up in the middle of the Student Union and yelled an obscenity. And it's not that he leisurely strolled out of a Publix this summer with a bunch of Crab Legs.
And it's not even that he walked away from a questionable sexual encounter with another student in late 2012 that somehow got him a mere slap on the wrist.
It's the combination of all these things that make him the NCAA's chief idiot. And he gets to sit out for a half in a fairly big game for his Seminoles. A game he shouldn't get to play in at all. Then he MIGHT learn a lesson. But we doubt it.
Okay, we're done with the righteous ranting....
It was an interesting college football week last week. A few surprises and a few disappointments. And no clear cut team jumping out from the pack....which we like. It makes things much more fun for us.
So another 12 win week for us, 12-2 to be exact, which raises the 2 week total to 24-3. Which folks ain't bad. We may not always get the score or spread right, but more often than not, we'll tell you who wins.
But enough gloating, it's time to quote the legend Casey Kasem and get "On With the Countdown"
THE DIRTY DOZEN:
1) Oregon 3-0. Welcome to the top spot Duckies. We don't think you'll be here at the end, but enjoy the ride. The conference schedule now begins and it will be time to ride the Marcus Mariota train. Which actually may get you pretty far. (This Week: at Wash. St. Our Pick: Oregon 49, Wash St. 31)
2) FSU 2-0. You get demoted because your star QB is a moron who thinks he's above everyday life. He's not. In the long run, with him, yeah, you have the best team in the country. But all things considered, will you have him for the long run. We'd like to pick you to lose this week, you might, it would be justice...sort of. (This Week: vs. Clemson. Our Pick: FSU 23, Clemson 21)
3) Auburn 2-0. Last years runner up is still pretty good. They sort of had a week off after a cupcake game and they go on the road this week. Sometimes the spotlight games (ESPN Thu. night) can be a curse, but K-State isn't enough to bite back. (This Week: at Kansas St. Our Pick: Auburn 50, K-State 30)
4) Alabama 3-0. Team Saban/Kiffykin moves on. After 3 cupcakes. Ok, maybe W.Va isn't a cupcake, the meat of the schedule kicks in. The Tide have been good, not great. There are still questions. But not enough to slow them down this week. (This Week: vs. Florida Our Pick: Bama 34, Gators 17)
5) Oklahoma 3-0. No, the Sooners haven't been pushed yet either. While they do seem to be the class of the Big 9, we have questions about how they'll play against the SEC. Oh, wait, the rolled Tennessee last week. Yes, good for you. (This Week: at W.Va. Our Pick: Oklahoma 48, W.Va 34)
6) Texas A&M 3-0. Still don't get the whole "Trill" Hill thing, though we give Aggie QB Kenny credit for stepping in and performing very, very well. But our hat tip goes to Kevin Sumlin who may be doing his best coaching job ever this season. (This Week: at SMU (yikes). Our Pick: Aggies 126, SMU 3)
7) LSU 3-0. Eh...not sure the Tigers will be worthy of this ranking when the dust clears, but right now, hey why not? The meat of the schedule begins now and trips to A&M and Auburn are on the horizon. (This Week: vs. Miss St. Our Pick: LSU 24, Miss St. 14)
8) Baylor 3-0. Ok, everyone still loves the Bears and hey, who wouldn't, they are averaging nearly 60 points a game. But they've also fattened up on 3 straight cupcakes, so don't use this as a guide. The Big 9 schedule starts this week, let's see what happens. (This Week: at Iowa St. Our Pick: Baylor 40, Iowa St. 27)
9) Ole Miss 3-0. Is this team a mirage or are they living up to their potential? Hard to tell, they too have fattened up on cupcakes. That will eventually change, but not this week. (This Week: vs. Memphis. Our Pick: Ole Miss 34, Memphis 21)
10) UCLA 3-0. They've underachieved, but persevered. An injury to Brett Hundley meant Rick Neuhiesel's kid Jerry had to step up. He did, leading the Bruins to a win at Texas. Which still isn't easy to do. Test time's a comin' though. (This Week: OFF)
11) Notre Dame 3-0. So, the Irish are off to a good start, but again haven't been challenged. But they are Notre Dame, so if they're 3-0, they're in the Top 10 in the polls. We question if they'll stay, but all games but maybe 1 are winnable for them. (This Week: OFF)
12) Arizona St. 3-0. Yes, another Pac 12 team. If you are undefeated, you too have a shot at making our list over a team with a loss. That's the way we roll. (This Week: OFF)
THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL:
5) New Mexico 0-2. Yes, the song above is for you Lobo fans and you Bob Davie. Former long time resident comes home. The Lobos were here through the entire Mike Locksley era and have returned. You must earn your way back out. That is all. (This week: at NM State. Our Pick: NM State 25, NM 10)
4) SMU 0-2. Oh boy, it doesn't get any easier. Lose your head coach, check. Score 6 points on the season, check. Travel to the Trill show this week, check. (This Week: vs. Texas A&M. Our Pick--see #6 above)
3) UMass 0-3. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory Minutemen. You had Vandy down and on the ropes, yet you let them wiggle free. That's why you are here and probably won't leave. (This Week: at Penn St. Our Pick: PSU 31, UMass 12)
2) Troy 0-3. Oh boy. My how Larry Blakeny's boys have fallen. This was once the crown jewel of the Sun Belt. Not any more. And it won't get better. (This Week: at UGA Our Pick: UGA 51, Troy 13)
1) Miami OH 0-3. No, you don't get to leave the bottom here Redhawks. You still aren't good, you haven't won in over 2 seasons. You can't leave. Nor will you anytime soon. (This Week: at Cincinnati. Our Pick: Cinci 48, Miami OH 13)