Thursday, October 3, 2013

Patrick Roy's Fire Exists Even In Game 1 (UPDATED With Fine And Reax)

So, you win your first game as Colorado Avalanche head coach fairly easily, but the game doesn't just "end" with players skating off the ice to their respective locker rooms...

This happens...
((HT: Prime Ticket/Fred Murtz))


Roy thought that, just before the goal, Nathan MacKinnon was knocked down by Ducks defenseman Ben Lovejoy with what Roy said was a knee-on-knee hit. No penalty was called.

"I was not very happy," Roy said. "First of all, I mean, to see a defenseman knee our guy. I mean, that was a knee-on-knee hit. That should have been a penalty in my opinion, and I certainly didn't like that. When it's 6-0, I don't think this game needs that type of cheap shot. But after that there was some talk from the coaches, I guess. But at the same time, what should I do? He put his fourth line on the ice. I'm not going to go with my first line. I went with my fourth line and, that's it. I was matching all night long, by the way."

Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau disagreed... of course...

"It was a little trip and maybe they should have called it, but they let it go because of the score," Boudreau said. "He was barking at me because I was yelling at him to quit yelling at our players. I didn't notice it as much as I noticed it then. The last game we were in here [for a preseason game] it was a big thing by the referees telling him it's going to be a long year if he's going to be yelling at everyone like that. There was no need for it.

"He's not 25 anymore; he's watched every NHL game I'm sure since he retired. He played for some of the greatest coaches and even though he was in the net and didn't hear a lot of them, I'm sure he knew what was going on."


Remember... they play three more times... and it looks like Roy's time behind the bench will be a trip...

So to speak...

PM UPDATE: Roy was fined $10-grand for his plexiglass shove-fest...

Here's Roy's response- and other coaches as well...
((HT: Sportsnet))

No comments:

Post a Comment