Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ozzie Guillen May Or May Not Love Fidel Castro

((HT: Telemundo51-Miami/youtube))

Well, Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen first thought this...


But, then a day after the quote praising one of the hemisphere's most oppressive rulers, he had to apologize...

"If [people] are disappointed or upset with what I said, I don't blame them, but I'm with them," Guillen said, according to Juan Rodriguez's article in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

"I lived in Miami for 12 years. I know exactly what [Castro] means to the town ... Everybody is upset and kind of sad with what I said. I'm a grown man. I can take it.

"I want to let them know I apologize, but in the meanwhile I was not talking about politics. The reason I say I admire him is because a lot of people want to get rid of this guy and they couldn't yet.


"That was personal, not politics. If you don't read the article, it sounds ugly. The first time I read it I was like, 'Wow, that's going to get me in trouble.' I understand that. I'm not hiding from anybody, especially people in Miami."

The team then went ahead and issued a statement on their own: “We are aware of the article. There is nothing to respect about Fidel Castro. He is a brutal dictator who has caused unthinkable pain for more than 50 years. We live in a community filled with victims of this dictatorship and the people in Cuba continue to suffer today.”

The HQ thinks that the article in Time Magazine will be worth reading, and that anyone who had "a week" as the over/under on Ozzie saying something offensive just lost their bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment