Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Muffet McGraw's Malaprop And Dust-Up

We've all seen men playing among boys...

The HQ is fairly certain that was where Notre Dame women's coach Muffet McGraw was heading when she tried to say the following last night after Baylor won 80-61 in the women's title game...
((HT: ESPN/alwayssunnyindetroit))


Here's the full quote from Curt Rallo's piece in the South Bend Tribune:

"I think she's one of a kind," McGraw said. "I think she's like a guy playing with women. It's just there's so many things that she can do that I've not seen a lot of women -- well, really, you know, there's been some guards that had some skill like that. But as a post player she's the best I've ever seen."

The HQ is well aware that McGraw was paying Griner a compliment, but she went ahead and apologized anyway...

Here's the statement from WBB SID Chris Masters' Twitter Feed:


"I am disappointed that ESPN would so clearly take my comment about Brittney out of context. I would hope that it was clear to those in attendance at Tuesday's press conference that my comments were meant to be complimentary, and in reference to her style of play and her dominance in our game, nothing more. Any attempt by others to read anything more into that comment is wrong, malicious and incredibly insulting to Brittney, Kim (Mulkey) and the Baylor women's basketball program, and it's a poor attempt by some to try and take away from what was a well-played national championship game. I have held, and continue to hold Brittney and the Baylor women's basketball program in the highest regard, and I congratulate them on winning the title this evening."

And now Griner gets to come back for her senior season...

No comments:

Post a Comment