Thursday, April 5, 2012

Turns out someone was on Motorcycle with Bobby Petrino when he crashed (UPDATED with Petrino placed on leave)

Jessica Dorrell/Courtesy: U of Ark.
Hmmm....Bobby Petrino not telling the truth about something. When has that ever happened?

It appears that Sunday's motorcycle crash involving the Arkansas head football coach was not a "Single-Person" crash. According to the incident report released by the Arkansas State Police, it appears Mr. Petrino had a passenger...despite his family statement saying otherwise.

That passenger was 25-year old Jessica Dorrell, a student-athlete development coordinator for the football team and a former Razorback volleyball player.

Dorrell apparently wasn't hurt in the crash and according to the report, was the person who flagged down someone to call for help.

More from the Fayetteville Flyer.com RIGHT HERE

Interesting.

There is no implication of anything other than an "Innocent" motorcycle ride here, but it is going to raise an awful lot of questions.

The first being why the Petrino Family and the University released a "statement" saying the coach was by himself. We aren't shocked by this, having briefly dealt with Petrino in Atlanta, we were fully aware that he has a rather "Wide" definition of what he believes...or wants "You" to believe is true.

And while nobody is reporting that there is anything more to it than that, take a look at Dorrell's picture. Do you not think there are going to be some lines people are going to draw here? And to be totally honest, if they do, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Here's early returns from KTHV-TV


And here is where you can read the accident report...

But Petrino told KFSM-TV he was alone...
Evidence below...


Oops...

2330 UPDATE: The school, and specifically AD Jeff Long, has put Petrino on administrative leave pending the end of an investigation.

Petrino released a statement through the university:

"The state police report today provides an accurate description of my accident, which includes details that had not publically come to light prior to the report being issued. I regret that I have not publically acknowledged a passenger on the vehicle. I have been in constant pain, medicated and the circumstances involving the wreck have come out in bits and pieces. That said I certainly had a concern about Jessica Dorrell's name being revealed.

"In my press conference, I referred to her simply as 'a lady.' My concern was to protect my family and a previous inappropriate relationship from becoming public. In hindsight, I showed a serious mistake in judgment when I chose not to be more specific about those details. Today, I've acknowledged this previous inappropriate relationship with my family and those within the athletic department administration.

"I apologize to my wife, Becky, and our four children, Chancellor (David) Gearhart, Jeff Long, the Board of Trustees, University administration, my coaching staff, student-athletes and the entire state of Arkansas. I have been humbled by the outpouring of concern and get-well wishes.

"I apologize to the Razorback Nation for the attention my actions have brought to the University of Arkansas and our program. I will fully cooperate with the University throughout this process and my hope is to repair my relationships with my family, my Athletic Director, the Razorback Nation and remain the head coach of the Razorbacks."


Taver Johnson will take over in the interim...

MIDNIGHT UPDATE: Looking at Petrino's Memorandum of Understanding from the time he was hired (thanks to the arkansastimes website), his "for cause" firing offenses include "engaging in conduct... clearly contrary to the character and responsibilities of a person occupying the position of head football coach or which negatively or adversely effects the University or UAF's Athletics program in any way."

Dan Wolken at the Memphis Commercial Appeal, through his Twitter feed, looks at the university's staff handbook- Section 3.6

Consensual sexual relationships between faculty and their students or between supervisors and their employees in some instances may result in charges of sexual harassment.

Consensual relationships may lead other faculty and students or supervisors and coworkers to question the validity of grades, evaluations, and other interactions between the people involved in such a relationship. The integrity of the work of both people in the relationship may be compromised.


Double oops...

Here's AD Long's presser...
((HT: KTHV-TV/TodaysTHV.com))


FRIDAY UPDATE: Here's more on Dorrell...
((HT: KFSM-TV/5NewsOnline.com))

No comments:

Post a Comment