Tuesday, October 9, 2012

DEVELOPING:Sandusky Sentenced To 30-60 Years

((HT: WHP-TV/KDKA-TV/ESPN))

Judge John Cleland issued the sentence of 30-60 years in jail on 45 counts of child sexual abuse, as Jerry Sandusky was convicted of molesting 10 boys over a 15-year period and using a charity he established as nothing less than a front for continuing his abuse and enacting consistent betrayal on minors. It had been three months after a jury convicted him on the charges

Sandusky maintains his innocence, says he is not a monster and says he didn't do the "alleged disgusting acts." The appeals process is going to start in the next few weeks...

Penn State President Rodney Erickson released the following statement:

"Our thoughts today, as they have been for the last year, go out to the victims of Jerry Sandusky’s abuse. While today’s sentence cannot erase what has happened, hopefully it will provide comfort to those affected by these horrible events and help them continue down the road to recovery."

The university still intends to settle with victims in a timely manner- as they well should...

Sandusky read a statement in open court:

“I feel a need to talk not from arrogance but from the heart. I did not do these disgusting acts. As I began to relive everything, it was a terrible feeling and my eyes filled with tears. Maybe some children who might have been abused will not be because of the publicity. The pain continues when I think about the people who’ve made the allegations. I’ve been confined to a small room. There are outbursts in the jail.”

“I told Dottie, ‘We’re definitely in the fourth quarter.’ Those who still believe in us are the only ones who matter. Not being able to hug my grandchildren, not being able to play with the dog. Yet, I get letters of support. I see family and friends, I see special inmates who smile at me."


In response at the sentencing hearing, some of the victims and their family representatives gave statements as well, from KDKA-TV:

Several of the victims gave statements during the hearing:

Victim No. 9’s mother:

“I have had to endure my son’s suicide attempts all because of you. You’ve destroyed my family and I can never forgive you of that. Shame on you. Shame on you Mr. Sandusky,” she said.

Victim No. 1:

“There are no words to describe the pain and misery Jerry Sandusky has inflicted on my life. There are thoughts I didn’t want to think. I have been looking over my shoulder for a long time. There is no remorse in Jerry Sandusky, only evil.”


Victim No. 4:

“Rather than take accountability for your actions, you attacked us as though we did something wrong. I will never forgive you. I was in a troubled situation and you made it worse.”

Victim No. 5:

“He forcibly had me touch him. I am troubled with flashbacks of his naked body. I am tormented by nightmares and guilt. I will never erase the filthy images, but he must pay for his crimes. He took away my childhood the day he assaulted me. He should be sentenced accordingly.”

Victim No. 6:

“My personality changed for the worst. That night you called yourself the tickle monster so you could touch my 11-year-old body, has damaged me for life. The Bible says if we confess our sins he will forgive us. You are trying to speak forth your innocence. You are only fooling yourself. You won’t be able to receive forgiveness.”

John Barr and Roger Cossack discuss:
((HT: ESPN))


More when we know more...

No comments:

Post a Comment