Saturday, December 7, 2013

Orpik Ambushed By Thornton, In And Out Of Hospital

((HT: NESN))

The short version...

The Penguins Brooks Orpik hit the Bruins Loui Eriksson on the first shift in the game Saturday night. He was diagnosed with a concussion and didn't return to the game.

After Eriksson left, Shawn Thornton wanted a piece of Orpik- who didn't budge...

Then Brad Marchand was prone on the ice and all hell broke loose...

Here's the incident...


Thornton immediately fell on the sword:

"I feel awful. It wasn't my intention," Thornton said postgame. "I know Brooksy and have gotten to know him over the last seven years. I skated with him in the summer, through the lockout and texted him a couple of times. I feel awful. It's definitely not what I want anyone to see.

"... It's always my job, I guess, to defend my teammates. But I prided myself for a long time to stay within the lines. It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say 'I'm sorry' enough."


Thornton does have a call with the league office and it will interesting to see just how much of a penalty he gets from the guy who doles out the punishments, Brendan Shanahan.

Orpik was released from hospital and traveled with the team as they left town...

No comments:

Post a Comment